11.16.2009

Chris Cornell




The year 2004 was running already. Back then, sometimes I used to go to a friend's house who lived near my college. And as usual, he had some musical suggestion for me (And still has, which I believe is a really cool thing 'bout my friend).

So I was sitting there, as usual watching all the cool music posters he had, specially the ones of Nirvana, and Metallica. Suddenly in the middle of a Pantera and Metallica poster (With Jason Newsted, gosh I miss that bass player)... there was one quite particular. It said "Soundgarden", and showed 4 fellas with a "Don't look at me or I'll slice you in pieces" attitude.

Weird thing is that my friend, had this music on his player, and it was this band and he asked me to listen to 'em. And I was like "Shit, that's really cool!" sort of thing... well in my thoughts actually, 'cause I was quite a reserved person back then. The song playing was Spoonman (Which led me to find the Superunknown album later on, that was the first record I heard from Soundgarden).



Everything shocked me, from the guitar sounds, the drums, the bass (Yeah the bass!) and of course, the vocals of a name I haven't heard back then, Chris Cornell.

And it's funny, I also got the chance to get the Solo efford of Chris Cornell. Well, his firts solo record, called Euphoria Morning. Which, in my opinion is GREAT, from beginning to end. It does not sound like Soundgarden at all. It does sound like Chris Cornell.



The story of this man is quite amazing and at the same time, quite an example for everyone who wants to be in music. Back then I've got the chance to get a "CD Book" of Soundgarden, it's funny it costed me like $3 but it was worth it... Every time I was like "Fuck I'm going nowhere" I picked up that book and read it, and felt better.

- Back to Chris Cornell's. - The man used to study piano while he was a teenager, but then he switched to drums. Due to make a living, he even managed himself to be a cook, and it's a funny fact, while he was working in this restaurant he used to work, he was literally alone so, spent the time practising those magnificent screams that were his signature in Soundgarden, the band he formed part of later on.

In Soundgarden, Cornell was a beast, both on stage and off stage (while composing), his presence was more of like an old warrior going to battle with an axe on one hand and with a sword in another, yelling those amazing screams he's known for... Unfortunately, the band broke up in late 1997, putting an end to one of the most amazing bands of my generation.



Outside Soundgarden, you could tell that everything he touched (or ehm, sang as a matter of fact) was pure gold. One of the greatest things he also did was the tribute band to a fella he really appreciated, called Temple of the Dog. It was a supergroup (literally) formed by Chris, Matt Cameron, Stone Gossard, Mike McCready, Eddie Vedder and Jeff Ament. And well, he did paid tribute to his friend Andrew Wood. The music this band made was outstanding.



And he also collaborated with Alice in Chains in his SAP EP. You could tell, the brotherhood between musicians was in the air back then.



After a few years silent, Chris joins the fellas of Rage Against the Machine to form a new band called Audioslave. Which seemed to be the band of this times, up until Chris decided to go solo again. Quite a sad situation though, I wished to see 'em live, they were sort of near my country while they performed in Cuba, a piece of musical history I wish I witnessed.



- A song that makes me go through hard times. It still does!



- From the Cuba Performance...

Unfortunately, good things never last... like a Black Sabbath song says. And after Euphoria Morning, Chris managed to do more "commercially driven" music. Specially his last efford, Scream, where he collaborated with some guy called Timbaland. And it's a funny thing, after this collaboration happened, the man started to get more recognition than ever. Which is quite funny, 'cause no one cares about his former work but do focus more on the "hip hop" side of him. But oh well, maybe it's my fucking ego making me talk like that 'bout a man I consider one of my heroes... but I seriously can't stand his new album. I'm no one to say shit 'bout someone else's musical endeavours though.

Although, there's hope yet...



Thanks for all the great records you've put Chris... someday I've gotta see you perform, and why not (yawns, dreamin' like a fanboy haha) perform together.

Thanks, seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sysyphus

My photo
Would you believe that I speak spanish, but I prefer english instead?