7.24.2012

Essay III: On Selling Sacred Music



Thoughts on the Massification and Commercialization 
of Gregorian and Sacred Chants

By Carlos W. Murgueitio
Essay for the University of Pennsylvania

Gregorian and Sacred Chants have played an important role in the history of music for centuries. Back in the time the music was considered a way of connecting with a much higher spiritual force or power, those chants provided somehow a bridge between we Men and the Divinity, regardless of what religion one could preach at the time. The quest for the Divine and the ultimate perfection and balance is something we see in every art form, and music is not the exception. In Christian and Non Christian (Hindi, Muslim, Buddhist, etc.) early communities, sacred chants were the way composers translated that desire to connect with the higher and universal  divine root, and somehow, through the music, bring to the listener a sense of deep spirituality and reflection, something they may have experienced, considering they did not have something we have in our modern world that I call "The interference of technology in people's attention span". So, as a consequence, the experience may have been more intimate, higher and purest.

Considering the Study Case of the commercial recording of a Gregorian Chant, makes me think from my perspective as a listener, musician (I'm a composer and piano / classical guitar player), and man seeking answers through spirituality. From my perspective as a listener, it makes me wonder how it is affected. While listening the recording made by the German Monastic Monks, the music is there, the monks are there singing, but the intention (connecting the soul with a Higher Power / God / Universal Force) seems lost, to me at least. I believe this happens because the intention has changed, it is no longer about enhancing the listener's spiritual experience, but rather, an economic exercise of popularity and revival of "some old interesting stuff" as it usually is seen by younger people in most cases. 

From my perspective as a musician and composer, the monks seem to not understand the intention of the composer of the chant and just take it as an exercise of perfect technique and pitch. They ceased to be monks, and they became performers. I am not sure how Gregorian / Sacred Chants were sang in the times they were released because I wasn't there, but there is clearly a difference in the final sonic result when something is not made for financial reasons, but for spiritual growth reasons. 

And this leads me to my perspective as a man seeking answers through spirituality: Once the original intention (Enhancement of the Spiritual Experience) is gone, and it's replaced by a new one (Massification, which I am not saying is bad) you may be able to sense it, and as it happened in my case, feel nothing at all but sadness because a sacred composition has changed its nature to a commercial product. By no means I am a purist (musically or spiritually) but nevertheless, the spiritual realm and the mundane fast-moving economic world are two separate things, and they should remain like that.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sysyphus

My photo
Would you believe that I speak spanish, but I prefer english instead?