3.20.2009

Jerry García and The Grateful Dead.


Sometimes music comes to you, in the moment you less imagined. Comes unexpectedly, and surprises you, even while you're doing something so mundane, as watching T.V.

This is how I met Jerry García, the man behind that haunting guitar sounds of The Grateful Dead, one of the most talented musicians in the history of Rock. Not only able to play rock, he even played bluegrass, acoustic music, and some jazz as well.

I just turned on the TV, and there was he. Jerry García. I just turned on the TV, in precisely the right moment the program started. The thing that I was seeing, was the documentary "Grateful Dawg". I can't say how thrilled, happy, and excited I was, hearing those guys (Jerry García and David Grissman) doing their thing, just plain and acoustic wise. It revealed a whole new world to me, 'cuz at the time I was way deep into guitar electronics and synths. Not that I am not right now, but it reminded me the ROOTS of music, which are really important. And that, my friends, is acoustic music.



- Plain and Acoustic Wisdom. Hear it by yourself.

Then, after watching this documentary - you'll call me crazy, but what the heck - I had several dreams with Jerry, somehow he was guiding me to his music in his band, The Grateful Dead. And my friends, once again, I was thrilled, happy and excited. That band made me realise how cool and amazing is to jam, with no restrictions, compromises, and also, how the communal spirit was felt by the whole band. To me it was like they were one... And they were. I bet they were...



- Amazing, one more time I say this. The 60's were great times, music wise. You don't see music like this anymore...

Then, another surprise for me. Jerry García, had numerous side projects, ranging from tributes to the great Bob Dylan, and involvement in other bands, like The Riders of The Purple Sage. I felt more identified with his acoustic effords... 'cause their sound is really intimate. Electric ones too, but the acoustic just blown me away, and they still do nowadays.



- One of him, performing solo :D



- And one, performing Dylan's "Knockin' on Heavens door" with Bob Weir (His bandmate in The Grateful Dead), Joan Baez and John Kahn. One of the reasons I got my electroacoustic Takamine, was seein' Jerry Garcia using them in a concert I purchased on DVD... :D It's exactly the same guitar I got.

If you haven't heard him yet, go out and do it. It's a must, this guy is one of the most inspiring musicians you could ever hear in your life.

Jerry, thanks for all the inspiration... There will be a thousand jam bands, thousand guitar players, but there's only one Grateful Dead and only one Jerry Garcia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sysyphus

My photo
Would you believe that I speak spanish, but I prefer english instead?