2.05.2009

Black Flag


Black Flag isn't your traditional ''Britpop''-easy listening band. Black Flag isn't easy music. Black Flag is Attitude, a kick in your ass when needed, a motivation.

While I discovered Black Flag's music, I was thrilled. I've never listened to something like that before... So fast, angry, furious, no-compromise driven music. I swear, never.

I was used only to the melodic voices, and complications of progressive rock. But while I heard the Seattle grunge sounds, things started to change, and among the things I discovered during that change, was this amazing energy-driven music. I'm really glad.

The first song that caught my attention was the great ''Rise Above''. To me it was like an anthem, as Henry Rollins himself said once ''That song is the perfect American Anthem''.



Why? I mean... ''Jealous cowards try to control...Rise above...Were gonna rise above
They distort what we say...Rise above...Were gonna rise above''.

- That will be my new world order's anthem :D...

Rise Above like the motherfucking Phoenix... From ashes to life again. That's what I got from this song. And fellas, all of you, and myself included have been through shitty, fucked-up times. But after hearing this song? I don't give a fuck, I just want to tear down whatever comes on my way and on my path :D...

Black Flag's music is all about that. To challenge yourself, your environment, every day, having no rest 'till you rise above. Their sound is really amazing. This band was formed circa 1978, by the amazing -and the master mind of the band- Greg Ginn. Years after, a fan joins them, and Black Flag started to sound even better.

The fan's name was Henry Rollins, a guy who found in music his voice, his way to speak out all the hell of things he was living through, and seeing as a youngster...In fact, music was his catharsis, the thing that gave him focus.



- Just, amazing. I hope my ''revolutionary'' jerk president would face Henry one day, so he could give a kick in his balls.

Right now, Henry Rollins is a great spoken-word artist, I dare to say, one of the most influential men in contemporary rock history.

Greg Ginn is also among the Rock N' Roll guitar greats. His style defined a new way of melting your influences, no matter how disparate they are. In fact, the man fused his Black Sabbath influences, with punk-rock Influences, and even jazz influences. Go figure, that's why those guys had such an unique sound.

I believe Black Flag was put on earth to bring you down to earth, with no excuses... Glad I've found them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sysyphus

My photo
Would you believe that I speak spanish, but I prefer english instead?