2.10.2009

Johnny Cash, The Man in Black.



While I was in my third year as a college student, I was sort of thrilled by all the music that I started to hear. Trip Hop music, Hardcore Punk, Electronica, Classic Rock and Industrial Music. It's kinda cool while you have such an amount of music to hear, nothing compares to the first time you do something.

In the middle of all this great music I was sort of discovering, driven by the ''progressive'' musician in me, there was someone who really, caught my ear since day one. I saw a film 'bout his life, and I got more into his music. In fact, after watching this sort of biographic film, I started to pay closer attention to what that man did music wise, and life wise. In fact, among with Neil Young and David Gilmour, he was the third driving force that encouraged me to learn how to sing.

All of my heroes, musical and non musical, have this sort of ''Outrageous-Mystic-Lonesome'' personna. Just today, I was telling this cute girl that, Bruce Lee and Clint Eastwood, were basically my first heroes, 'cause I admired them since I was a kid. Specially Bruce Lee.

The Man in Black, Johnny Cash, wasn't any different in his personna. In fact, he gained that nickname - Man In Black - because, he only wore black clothes... Legend says that he once was told ''Why you dress in black? Looks like you're going to a funeral'' and he answered ''Maybe I am''... That's what I mean. An Outrageous, Mystic and a deliberate Loner.

He was Mystic, because in every song he played -Even the ones he covered- you hear him singing all, very heart-felt driven. With total honesty, feeling sadness for the less fortunate people -Specially the people who lived in prison. They were his biggest fans- and also, singin' out of his heart what love does to every single human being. Both happiness, and sadness.



- Outrageous, Mystic and a Deliberate Loner. -

He was a deliberate loner, 'cause he had this ''No compromise attitude''. If he was doing something, he did it anyway 'till he finished, even it caused him some trouble. Part of his honesty come together with this, 'cause you know, honesty is such a lonely word... everyone is so untrue, as Billy Joel Said.

I felt identified with him, no doubt. Johnny always did his way, from the very beginning of his musical career, 'till the day he passed away.

Honesty is what makes great artists... just like Johnny was...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sysyphus

My photo
Would you believe that I speak spanish, but I prefer english instead?