2.01.2009

Soundgarden



While I was on my first years of college, like on my second year of guitar learning, I wanted to push more my musical boundaries. I continued following bands that could draw things like freedom, and good art. So one day I went to my old school brother's house, as usual, I stared at the wall of posters he had, there was one from a particular band I hadn't heard at the time. By coincidence, my friend was suggesting me some new music to listen, and get influenced by.

Among the music he was suggesting me -Neil Young and David Bowie- he said the name of a band that he called ''The Black Sabbath of the 90's.'' I thought that I should give them a chance, 'cause at the time I was into Black Sabbath as well as the other experimental acts, like Pink Floyd and Jimi Hendrix.

So, he put the CD of this band, the song being played had a funny but catchy name. ''Spoonman'' it was. For sure, the sounds of the guitar weren't something you heard all time, or at least coming from a guitar. Same with the vocals, they weren't something you heard all time, at least in this times where all you hear is guys who attempt to sing. So the same happened with the drums, they had some sort of jazzy/intricate vibe, combined with good ol' rock n' roll drumming. And the bass? Well, go figure, the bass player used the bass microphones to do some vocal effects.

So I decided to pick up the CD my friend was encouraging me to listen. I remember going psyched by the whole group of songs issued on that CD. It was a ''Greatest Hits'' sort of album, it was called A-Sides.

There was a particular song that caught my attention. Jesus Christ Pose... It had a lot of energy on it, raw power, and fiery rock and roll. Everyone in the band was giving all of their best to give you a kick in the ass with that song. And I liked it... And in the same time, there was a song that was really, really sad, that suit any time of despair possible. The song was called ''Black Hole Sun''



- Believe me, it's a kick in your ass... -

The band's name, was Soundgarden... No one sings like you anymore, Chris. No one rocks like Soundgarden anymore...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sysyphus

My photo
Would you believe that I speak spanish, but I prefer english instead?