2.16.2009

Tim Buckley


-Back again in the blog entries. I've been out for a while, due to academic responsabilities, I want to get out of my college as soon as possible, so, you gotta study while you gotta study.-

Anyway... Today I'm gonna write 'bout a musician who, unfortunately is quite unheard in this modern days. I must admit, I've haven't heard him 'till January, but I'm glad I found his music.

This guy, not only had a great voice. He also could play the guitar really, really well. His main intention as a composer, I guess, was to continually explore musical frontiers, so that's why his music is sort of hard to catalog, some people used to call him a "Dylan-esque" musician. I've heard Bob Dylan too, he's one of my heroes too but, this man has his own credit.

He started from zero. As usual, back in the 60's days... You wanted to be a musician, you've had to find the way to make your way. It still works like that this days, but it's more hard due to the commercial emphasys in nowadays music. It always have been one, but today music is more than a market than art.

Discovered by a man who was drummer of the almighty "Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention", this young man started to make a name of himself, in the folk/beatnik circuits. And his lyrics, usually dealt with tons of personal issues, ranging from loneliness, despair, and love (of course). He incorporated jazz elements, rock elements, and so many other things, always changing and looking forward to reinvent himself, with every record he made. It is said that Miles Davis' model of constant change is what encouraged him to do so...

The young man's name was Tim Buckley. He lived a short life, dying at the age of 28... but his works are really unheard masterpieces. Albums like "Blue Afternoon" and "Lorca" are things that definitely, are so simple, and also so great to listen...



- As you hear Tim's music, you keep like this sort of "conversation", where you either could be, the listener, or Tim himself...

If you have a chance to listen to Tim's music, do it. You'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sysyphus

My photo
Would you believe that I speak spanish, but I prefer english instead?