2.03.2009

Nine Inch Nails.


While I was in high school, some of my former classmates talked 'bout music quite a lot. They mentioned a lot of bands, some of them I knew, like Korn, Metallica and Iron Maiden, and some of them I didn't at the time. Of course, there were cases where they talked 'bout indie rock -I'm not much of a fan of it, but anyway- and also, the ones what I called ''Call-Your-Attention-Acts'', like Marilyn Manson, and Nine Inch Nails.

I, as a 17 year-older fathead, didn't paid much attention to it, and continued listening my ol' goodies. Metallica, Iron Maiden, and Korn. But somehow I was intrigued, why all this guys talked so much 'bout those bands/artists?

Anyway, I even remember having a conversation in Christian Values class talking 'bout this music. ''Heretic'' and ''Mundane'' were two words this people used a lot, and seemed to like to use to describe this music. And so I was a sheep, following 'em, the ''Lamb of God''. But anyway, I got enough of it one day, and let myself go. But that's another story...

-Remember that I told you, my dear folks that I used to study in a Catholic-boys institute that was more like a reformatory?. So don't be surprised.-

My increased music-hunger demanded me at the point to find more music to hear, to dig, to study, to listen while I closed my eyes, to listen while I just stared hopeless the ceiling room of my place. And one day, a friend o' mine just kept asking me ''Why don't you listen to those guys?''. And I gave the egotistical-dumb ass driven answer: ''Because they like to show off''. Jeez, what a jerk I was.

In some point, a concert is 'bout that. At least, the show you, as an artist have to put in to blow everyone's minds away...

So one day I started to find Nine Inch Nail's songs. The first one I heard were the piano-driven ones, like ''Something I could Never Have'' and ''The Day the World went away''.

I was out of my head. I could felt what the guy who was singing was feeling, in fact, I did related and reflected myself in each one of the things he was singing about. There's this particular verse of the song ''The whole world went away'' that I like a lot:



''There is a place that still remains, It eats the fear it eats the pain
...The sweetest price hell have to pay...The day the whole world went away''

To me, that was it. I found someone who I could relate on the sad/depressive side of me. And sometimes, I really go down folks... Life's like that. There's joy, and sadness. Sun and Moon, day and night.

The pure honesty of the main architect of Nine Inch Nails was very inspiring for me. Thanks a lot Trent Reznor...

And I didn't liked good art at first, go figure... but hey, that's the way we learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sysyphus

My photo
Would you believe that I speak spanish, but I prefer english instead?