1.25.2009

How I got into rock music - and according to my older sister, I became slightly bastard - : Korn


While I was 16, the first time I heard Loud Rock music, I sort of felt something to rely on, an alternative to speak out my head, a new way to wave out of my head all this negative things I was through at the time, like angst, depression, and in some levels, madness.

At the time I was just into classical music. Beethoven, fellas, was the ultimate guy for me. I know a lot of you will come over me and tell me that Mozart improves your IQ, Bach relaxes you, whatever. I do respect all of the masters, without them I know, music wouldn't evolve the way it did - and still does -.

But let's face it. My main man is Ludwig Van Beethoven. Looking back now, I remember one conversation with one of my musical friends, and me saying to him: ''If Beethoven were around this time, he'd surely be a rock and roll guy''.

Anyway, the first thing I sort of heard that sounded like rock, and stick to it -and I still hear 'em nowadays- was Korn. All the people in my highschool were like ''Oh I want to be like Jonathan Davis'', to the point they wanted to dress like him. Or even like Fred Durst. But I didn't give a fuck. I used to behave that way but I suddenly realised I was being completely an asshole by not being just, me.

The first song I heard from Korn was the typical MTV-Aired-Single ''Make me bad''. I didn't give a fuck for MTV. All the good things I used to watch in that channel, like the ol' Beavis N' Butthead, were gone. Now all of sudden, this girly, bubble gummed music- with no offense to the ladies, but I hate pop music- took the MTV, turning it into eMpTV. But this song, gosh, I felt like a weird feeling. I could recall myself looking through Jonathan Davis' eyes, full of anger, and desperation while singing.



''I am watching the rise and fall of my salvation... There's so much shit around me... such a lack of compassion''

In two lines, mr. Jonathan Davis described how humanity was behaving. It was a bummer, a revelation, a message. And then, after hearing this song over and over again, in some ways I felt release. I thought that I wasn't the only one feeling that way 'round the corner. And the whole band, that chaotic and bombastic sound, compliment it completely...

Thanks to each one of the Korn guys, for all they've been a huge influence in me. And they still are... You taught me that loud, heavy, noisy rock could be an amazing way of catharsis. Glenn Tipton from Judas Priest once said ''Rock isn't bad, it's just a way, for me at last, for kids to feel some relief.''

Note of the Author - Why I say ''stick to it'': because I've heard rock music way before the time I'm telling. I was 9 actually, and I heard Guns N' Roses and Nirvana because of one of my sisters heard 'em. And I like 'em as well, but I had no clue where to find their music, and my parents weren't much of a ''CD Buyers'' people-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sysyphus

My photo
Would you believe that I speak spanish, but I prefer english instead?