1.27.2009

The Path of the Aspiring Musician. Part III: You can't always get what you want



Countless times, as an aspiring musician you'll be faced with a lot of trouble. For instance, this could be creative shortages, band shortages, money shortages, or worst yet, instrument shortages. The life of an aspiring musician is really, really hard, specially in a third-world-country where everyone just want to rip off everybody. I know that's a world-wide phenomena, but in a place where you don't get to see your musical heroes that much, is even worst.

- But right now I'm remembering the words of Henry Rollins. Think for a moment, that yours is no disgrace, think of the people in the African Countries... -

When it comes to deal with creative shortages, I couldn't imagine something worst than it. At least for a musician... Until the year 2006, I was only studying meticulously guitar riffs, solos, and all kind of things. But I haven't come up with something I could call ''Mine''. But it was O.K. I guess I needed a motivation, or something, and while the motivation came, I started to compose...

But when you start being sort of selfish, and self-indulgent, you could drown yourself in your own self indulgence. And my friends, that's the worst thing a musician could fall for. I've had a lot of trouble in that area a couple o' times, but now I'm learning how to handle it. Go figure, a guy with a Napoleonic-Dominant complex like me, it's not so easy to deal with ego sometimes.

Then, the other side of the river is that, instead of lay down on your own crappy songs, you don't do anything at all, because nothing comes, at all. I think it's way more honest to not do anything, than force yourself to come up with something. When the time to composes arrives, it just arrives. And the same way it arrives, the same way it goes... I know it too.

Band shortages... also a killer one. Nothing worst than being a guy, eager to find a rock and roll band... where you could fit in and do your thing... people who actually, become in some way, your family. That's really hard to find.

- Note from the Author: Seriously, take the time to figure out if you want to be part of a band, or a solo artist, because it's not the same. Solo artists need a backing band too. Don't forget it.-

Money Shortages: I feel like I belong in this group for the moment. You might say ''get a job and problem solved''. It's true. Get a job and problem solved... That's all I could say, although, if you have an old guitar, play in it. There's no excuse like ''Oh I need that expensive guitar to play good''. You play good either, in a shitty guitar or in a DeLuxe model. That's it. Go figure how did the Delta blues players managed themselves 'round this particular issue...

Instrument Shortage. In some way, this is related to the previous one, 'cause if you don't have the money, you don't have your instrument. Yes, you could lend a guitar, or whatever you want but, it's not the same to have a lent instrument and your own. With your own instrument you're more confident, whereas with the lent one you're sort of way too much ''careful''.


It's a tough way, I know... but if you want to make your way, all you need is perseverance, discipline, and patience... I know I'll find my path someday...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sysyphus

My photo
Would you believe that I speak spanish, but I prefer english instead?