1.24.2009

Robert Fripp



The Crimson King, the Mr.Spock of Rock, the Most Rational Rockstar. What I haven't heard or read 'bout this guy? Well, I don't know actually.

I'm talking 'bout Mr. Robert Fripp. The mastermind behind the legendary King Crimson, a band which defined how ROCK should be done in a very, VERY, far out and unconventional way.

I met King Crimson in a very, very unconventional -or conventional maybe, I don't know- way. As I posted earlier, I always noticed that 2 of the Tool guys, Maynard James Keenan and Adam Jones, mentioned King Crimson as main influence. Maynard even said once ''Now that you know that we rip off King Crimson, please, don't tell them''

- Which by the way I don't think so. Even Robert Fripp have told Adam Jones that he's totally a league of his own. That he sees more influence of Tool in King Crimson. What an honor :D...

Anyway, King Crimson. I was eager to find their first CD, which is called a seminal piece in the Rock Movement. Even Pete Thownsend of The Who said that he wished to create -back in the early The Who days- an album like In The Court.

No band will ever, EVER be like them. Not even this guys called The Mars Volta who are, according to my 2 cents opinion, the worst RIP OFF act. They try to RIP OFF the beautifully chaotic music of the Crimson King, but NO WAY. Crimson, as I said before, is a FAR OUT music.

And while I mean ''No one EVER will be like them'' I mean it. Even Jimi Hendrix, while he was alive, attended a King Crimson concert, and shook Robert Fripp's hands, saying ''You're left handed as me, shake my left hand brother, your music is fantastic...''



This is what I mean by beautifully chaotic.

Note of the Author: If you're currently hearing The Mars Volta and you have no clue who are King Crimson... Do me, and yourself a favor. Find the album ''In the Court of the Crimson King''... hear it, and then, fuck off all the Mars Volta's music. For your ears sake.

And Robert, thanks for showing me that guitar is an infinite instrument, not just EADGBE...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sysyphus

My photo
Would you believe that I speak spanish, but I prefer english instead?