1.24.2009

David Gilmour


Back in the days of the year 2004, I was an angry youngster, who was stuck in the shredding metal style. I was always eager to find something else, and at that time, shredding started to be a little bit too obvious. Although, I might say, my first heroes were Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen and Metallica. So, it's not fair to say I was just a shred-head, instead, I prefer to say I was a Metal-Head.

So anyway, year 2004. I always heard a lot of chit chat from people talking 'bout this band, Pink Floyd. I just turned 20, and as I said, I was getting bored of the shredding antics. Not because they are bad, but because I wanted to expand my horizons as a musician, and as a guitarist.

I had a college classmate who had a very, very old school musical taste. And also, I have a friend who considers himself an old school. So it's no surprise that sooner or later I was gonna be introduced into the Pink Floyd's world.

I still remember it vividly. I was at a college fair, I was fucking bored as hell, 'cause college isn't my thing at all. I like music, and that's it. It's the reason I'm alive right now. So, my classmates were giving away sort of mp3 mixes, and one of 'em had the classic ''Dark Side of The Moon''. So, no one picked up the last cd, and I took it.

I remember going to my house, taking a bath, and putting that cd into the CD player. My friends, that was the first time that I was blown away... in all senses.

I even remember trying to figure out the ''Time'' Guitar Solo... and sucking a lot. For sure, it's obvious, a shredder-type like me couldn't play Time at all. Or maybe I'm wrong, but anyway I couldn't play it and that's a fact.

So I spent a lot of hours listening to that particular album... I felt even identified with the whole album, sort of hearing my whole life through it... It was so weird, and amazing as well...

And since then I've been hearing them,and I'm so glad I did. That single event, started to open me to new ways of playing guitar, and music appreciation. Thanks a lot to each one of the floyd fellas: Richard Wright *Watch me from the skies man*, Roger Waters, Nick Mason, and David Gilmour.

David, you proved me that guitar is not just being fast... but also play with the whole soul involved... thanks for bringing the Ethereal/Bluesy sound to my ears every day since 2004 man. I wish I was born in the times you were in Floyd...



Thanks, A LOT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sysyphus

My photo
Would you believe that I speak spanish, but I prefer english instead?