1.29.2009

Black Sabbath


While I heard for the first time Metallica, back in the days I was 17 years old, I did some research 'bout how those guys crafted such an amazing sound. And among many other bands, one of the main influences they mentioned, was Black Sabbath.

Same thing happened with Soundgarden. I did some research how those guys crafted such an amazing sound. And among many other bands, one of the main influences they mentioned, was Black Sabbath.

I had a Black Sabbath ''Greatest Hits'' in my music record's bibliotheque, but I never played it much. In fact, the only song I remember I played over, and over again, was Iron Man. I couldn't get enough of that guitar riff, and the lyrics were awesome. In fact, I had to cover Iron Man for something I had to play... at college. My band -and specially myself- sucked, but boy I pulled my whole energies out playin' that song. I was 19.

At the time Sabbath really hit me, I was 21... The same year I started hearing Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains... I really was missing a lot, 'cause this band is so damn awesome... One of the first songs I heard, was Under the Sun.

An extremely low-tuned guitar, with slow riffs, and dense rhytms, to me, it was something totally new, among with grunge music. Similarities? Yeah, well in fact, Black Sabbath was a key band for the grunge music development, as well as for other styles and bands... Nirvana's frontman Kurt Cobain cited them as influences too, Henry Rollins of Black Flag and Rollins band too, so this band really cooked great rock music like really a few do.

I was like ''Jeez, what a sound''. I wasn't used to hear such slow rhytms on guitar, 'cause up to then I was only shredding, or playin' intricate tempos derived from the progressive rock thing. It was like a bummer, to hear what you could do with such an slow vibe... I felt like the whole world was 'bout to end.



-This is what I mean with ''I felt like the whole world was 'bout to end''-

And that's what Tony Iommi's riffs did to me back then. Among with Gilmour's crystaline sounds in Floyd, Robert Fripp's ambient soundscapes, and Hendrix's feedback antics, it showed me that it's not necessary to be like a damn Ferrari to be a good guitarist. Meaning, that you shouldn't play like a 10000 notes per second. How wrong was I while I thought being a good guitarist meant being a shred-so-fast. Glad I changed my mind...

Black Sabbath went through some changes as well. We all know, the classic lineup of Ozzy, Geezer, Tony and Bill. But while Ozzy left, the also great Ronnie James Dio came up to take the vocal duties, and a new drummer - Carmine Appice? I don't remember anyway, I stick to the classic Sabbath Lineup -. But they always preserved that characteristic dark and edgy sound.

My personal opinion is that the key of their sound is on their communion as a band. Just today, I was watching this DVD called ''The Last Supper'', and there was this section, where each one of the band members said their role. And Bill Ward said something really amazing: ''I try to be as intimate as possible with Tony's playing, with Geezer's playing, and I try to be like an orchestrator...'' And Tony Iommi said something even more amazing ''The main feature of us is that each one of us provides the power to the band...''

Amazing isn't it?

I think, each one of us rock and roll guys should thank this four gentleman, for what they've done for modern rock music. I specially thank Tony Iommi for teaching me that no matter what limitants you could have, you still could play the hell out of a guitar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sysyphus

My photo
Would you believe that I speak spanish, but I prefer english instead?