1.24.2009

Neil Young



While I started to hear Pink Floyd, I was 20. The 20's are a magical age, in some ways. It's the first time for a lot of things in your life. For me, it was like the first time to broad my musical scope, and listen to a lot of new music. I already knew by the time that metal wasn't much my sort of music. I still like it, but let's face it it's not my kind of music because I don't have the ''looks'' of a metal guy. I'm more vintage I think ha ha...

I had the great luck of meeting a friend here in my city, who was -and still is- a sort of Mentor in music terms. Sometimes, I went down to his house, and pick up some music he had and gave it to me, and sometimes while I could, I stayed for a while and listened to some music I wasn't used to hear at the time.

One day, I went to pick up an Yngwie Malmsteen CD. I think the one with the Symphonic. And he was hearing this song, which didn't sounded bad at all. The song was very raw, pure energy, straight rock and roll like I've never heard before. I asked sort of curious to my friend ''Who's playing that song?'' and my friend told me that it was someone called Neil Young. The song I'm referring to, was Cinnamon Girl, an amazing piece of rock n' roll at its best.

I wanted to buy Neil's albums to my friend but, while I wanted he was on his way to the States. He moved there and I was like ''Jeez, how could I find this music''. I eventually did, researching through the net, and being in a hurry sometimes.

The next song I heard from Neil was his classic ''Heart of Gold''. This happened 'round the year 2006, my german girl was 'bout to get married, and that particular song, among with the Moonlight Sonata, matched perfectly to the situation and mental state I was at the time.



Note from the Author: Pay CLOSE attention to the Harmonica Sounds...

Neil, you're the man. Thanks for being with me in the heavy times, mostly. While I sing your songs, my soul feels some relief. You're an inspiration, and a big influence too... I never imagined how powerful the simple and heartfelt music could be sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sysyphus

My photo
Would you believe that I speak spanish, but I prefer english instead?