1.31.2009

Buckethead


While I was in High School, I saw something that really intrigued me. It was Rock In Rio's music festival, and internet streaming was getting some ground, so seeing this kind of events on the internet was more accesible than in the early days of the net.

The thing that intrigued me was that they announced that, Guns N' Roses was 'bout to play onstage. But, while onstage, the Guns N' Roses everyone expected wasn't up there, except for Axl Rose, and Dizzy Reed. The rest of the band was completely new. And there was this character that quite intrigued me a bit. A tall fella, really really tall fella, who wore a KFC bucket over his head. His name? Buckethead.

I felt like ''Who is that guy with that thing on the head?'' and, while I heard him playing ''Welcome to The Jungle'' I remember saying ''He's really good'' and, while he performed his solo thing with the nunchakas, I also said ''That's something you don't get to see every day''



-Heart Felt Music. Something you don't see every day -

So I started my research, and then I found, he had a ZILLION albums recorded. I wanted to get them, but I couldn't, 'till two years ago, while a friend o' mine downloaded 'em. I was amazed. The guy not only could shred, but also play as melodic as his spirit could tell...

His style ranges from Heavy Metal, Funk, Trash Metal, Jazz, sometimes flamenco, sometimes electronica, etc. What this guy couldn't play? To be honest, modern guitar players should consider this idea, of being able to play more than just one musical genre at the time, 'cause, all the guitar things we know know, were made by the greats before us, and if you have this minimal desire, of being a great as well, you should consider playing as good as you can, and learning as much as you can as well. And that means, being musically open to all the music you could hear, and appreciate, and learn.

No doubt, that Buckethead is really one of the New World Order's guitar Heroes, and a real one... Wish more guitar players as innovators as him arise on the years to come... who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sysyphus

My photo
Would you believe that I speak spanish, but I prefer english instead?