1.27.2009

The Path of the Aspiring Musician. Part II: What you should hear, and what you shouldn't.


So... After I was left on my own to learn all by myself, the main question on my head was: What the fuck should I do now?

It was so fucking scary, and also funny at the same time. I had no clear sense of direction, since I was being sort of under the guidance of my guitar master, but the time I should do things by myself -at least music wise- have arrived.

So, the first idea that came to my mind was: ''O.K. let's do the following, let's research the influences of my current influences''.

At the point, I was really into progressive rock, as it has some reminiscent of the classical music thing, and also it has some symphonic elements. But oh well... I found some great things, like King Crimson, Rush, Yes, and Genesis.

So, one day I decided to hear what I wasn't used to hear. The first thing was industrial rock. I didn't like Marilyn Manson, or Nine Inch Nails. What a mess your humble narrator was. The reason I didn't? Because all of my classmates were into their music and were complete assholes. But I was being a major asshole for not giving a chance to my ears to hear their music and just judge them by such things. And I did gave a chance, and I liked what I heard.

After that I found a related artist with this two bands. Wes Borland, former guitar player of Limp Bizkit, made a band called Black Light Burns. I was psyched 'bout the songs of the band, but looking back then, I sucked major balls. Because, that music wasn't exactly what I was looking for, and didn't represent too much who I am. So, I eventually stopped listening to that band.

Same thing happened with the European Metal. I really used to dig those german-metal bands, like Helloween and Hammerfall, and the symphonic ones like Rhapsody. But eventually I found a band called Sepultura, which, showed me how to kick some butt music-wise speaking, so I stopped hearing the Elves playing metal.

So, two things down from my musical taste. Then, came to my life something from a lady called Björk, and also something from a band called Portished, and finally something from a band called Massive Attack.

The same way came something from a french duo called Air, and something from a guy called Beck. I took Air and listened to them a lot, under heavy suggestion of my friend the Old School driven. I left Beck gradually... although I might say he has some interesting and unconventional tunes. Maybe I'll give him a chance someday again...

After I met King Crimson, and I met Robert Fripp, I was intrigued by his collaboration with Brian Eno *Who I could not understand why he produced something for this guys called Coldplay, who I cannot stand too much*. Eventually, I got the record ''No Pussyfooting'' on my hands, and I went nuts. That gave me some perspective as well... And, in my 23rd birthday, my Old school friend turned me on into Aphex Twin's music.

So, the last year I continued composing music, and one day I sent one track to my Old School-Driven friend. He says I should listen more blues. Actually, I've never listened quite carefully to the blues. So, I gave blues a shot, and felt in love with that raw and simple sound, specially of John Lee Hooker's tunes.

You might be saying: ''So Charlie Boy, what do we hear, and what not?''

My best advise? : Hear what satisfies your musical/spiritual needs. Don't hear what satisfy other's needs and not yours. Don't try to be such a wuss by just pretending you know more because you hear underground music... be honest with yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sysyphus

My photo
Would you believe that I speak spanish, but I prefer english instead?