1.27.2009

Pink Floyd


... It was the year 2004. I was a bit over-run by my metal ''influences'' because, I don't know, I started feeling a bit ''off'' in that genre. Like I didn't belong there. So I started finding new music to study, and the name of Pink Floyd came to my head.

-Not saying that I don't enjoy hearing somw metal right now, but I don't hear it in the regular basis I used to listen in my ol'days-

At the time I was also hearing some grunge acts, who are my musical heroes too: Alice in Chains came first, along with Soundgarden, Nirvana and The Melvins
*The Melvins aren't grunge music but some sort of sludge/stoner/doom rock*

So anyway, I started listening to the Pink Floyd Sound. I remember while I went to pick up my first Floyd CD's, in my ignorant-hunger-for-music self, I asked for the Pink Floyd CD's where Syd Barret was the singer. My friend who sold me the cd's told me that the other material of Floyd without him was really good also.

And I trusted him. At that moment I haven't heard the Dark Side of the Moon, so... I didn't carry any cd at that moment. After I heard it, I went back and, wanted to have every Floyd album... I wanted to hear how it sounded like, dig it, study it, and so on. While I figure out some new music that interests me, and amazes me, I don't rest 'till I got all the music from that artist/band. So Floyd wasn't the exception.

One of the first things that captivated me from Floyd was the way they approached music. I mean, of all the music you hear from the 60's -with the notably exception of King Crimson-, this band was the most innovative. Yes, sure there were the elemental things of straight rock n' roll, like blues and all that. But, believe me... they were FAR BEYOND their time.

I even had this weird thought that they're the solar system in the shape of people. Waters is the Sun, Gilmour is the Moon, Wright is the Sky, and Mason is the Earth. Go figure...



-This is what I mean by FAR BEYOND their time. Let the music do the Talking-

I couldn't believe what I was hearing, at all. Richard Wright's organ sounds were a perfect blend of ethereal sounds, I don't want to sound ridiculous, but that's what it sounded like. Roger Water's seemed like a madman, standing still and playing his bass like some sort of steady clock, Nick Mason was precise as fucking hell, no overlaps or drums showcase... And Gilmour... Gilmour's singing was amazing. Same his guitar playing... :D

Syd Barret, the guy was the one who turned the light of the torch on, and, as each one of the Floyd guys said while he passed away in 2006 ''He was the light that inspired Pink Floyd to continue''

- I don't remember if those were the exact words, but it was something like that -

It's been 6 years since the first day I heard Floyd, and I still feel the same thing. Like all of my musical heroes, they encourage me to push my own boundaries, 'cause it's the only way to find your own voice, and craft your musicianship...

Thanks to all of you guys.

Richard and Syd, hope you're giggin' in the sky...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sysyphus

My photo
Would you believe that I speak spanish, but I prefer english instead?