1.24.2009

Ludwig Van Beethoven


I started my musical journey a long, long time ago. I remember I was almost 7, I was a hopeless child. Well, not hopeless at all. I lived in a very caring environment, where not only my parents took care of me, but also my sisters, and my auntie Victoria, who was one of the most important persons in my life.

The thing is, my friends that I was a 7-year old kid, eager to play soccer, or whatsover. And I couldn't. I had a weird disease, a heart one, and I couldn't do anything at all. So, most of the time I felt sort of lonely, and alienated from the other kids.

One day, I was whistling a tune I heard on the radio. I always used to whistle, and it's kinda funny, I always was in tune. One of my sisters noticed that, and took me to a friend of hers who was a music teacher. And voilá, her friend told my sister that I had ''musical ears'', meaning that I would have no problem to learn music.

At first, I acted reluctant. I didn't like the idea of going to music classes on a Saturday morning, almost like 5 hours. I just wanted to stay still, looking through my sad eyes to the playfull kids. But, thank goodness that didn't happened. I went to the classes reluctantly, but later on I started to love 'em.

-Flute was the first instrument I ever picked up in my life-

I remember that day. My teacher, whose name was Karina, put a score of Beethoven's 9th in front of my eyes. As usual, I first whistled the notes I saw, and then I started to play at the rhytm I wanted. But, that wasn't the right way... My teacher gave me several instructions of how to play it a thousand times, but I always played the way I wanted. So, I got evicted with my parents.

I felt kinda sad, 'cause what I was doing for fun, started to get way too much ''Serious and Adult''. So, I closed my bedroom's door, read through the score, and practically became obsessed with that particular tune. Over and Over again, I was playing it.

One day I read Beethoven's history. And while reaching the part where he starts to loose his auditive sense, I was like ''My God, can you really do that even if you're deaf? This guy is amazing''. By the time, I was 9.

Then came the beautiful ''Für Elise''. At the time I heard it, I was 13. I switched from flute to guitar, and I heard the chords quite clearly: A minor, E major, A minor again. And, they had this sort of majesty, and also, reverence-kind-of feel on it. Once again, Ludwig Van Beethoven amazed me.

So, difficult times came in. I was 16. I was sort of depressed, angry and lonely. Usually, at this time you had your first girlfriend, first kiss, whatever. But I haven't had anything at all. All I got, was music. The girl I liked, went to USA to make a living there with her family... Ludwig came in again, and I heard the Moonlight Sonata a lot of times. Even while I was 22, back in the days I met this gorgeous german girl, who I lost, the Moonlight Sonata was there.

The same day she left, the Moonlight Sonata was being played...



I couldn't help it, while this song was playing, a couple o' tears fell through my dust n' old face... I mentally saw her going away... the pictures of the day we met... came on and on...

Ludwig, thanks for being with me all my life... in the good and bad times. You're such an inspiration and a big influence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sysyphus

My photo
Would you believe that I speak spanish, but I prefer english instead?